There’s a good chance that you’ve spent a lot of time in your home over the past year, and maybe you think that it’s time to downsize, right-size or simply change location! This is a great time to evaluate your current home so that you know what’s really important for your next!
Here’s a list of questions to evaluate your current home so you can find more comfort and pleasure in your next one.
Get to know your home!
- What’s your favourite part about your house?
- And your least favourite?
- Do you like the style of your home?
- Which is your favourite room to spend time in? Why?
How do you feel when you’re at home?
- Do you have enough space or too much? Which rooms would you adjust?
- Do you have enough bedrooms? How about bathrooms? Do you have too many? (Be honest!)
- Do you like the number of floors and amount of stairs involved? Does it make sense long-term?
- Are you happy with the light? Do you have enough windows and are they in the correct spot?
- Do you like the fixtures and finishes?
- Is there a specialized room you’ve never had but have always wanted (such as a home office, workout room, sewing room, laundry room or mudroom)?
- If you have an outdoor space, do you enjoy spending time there?
- If you don’t have one, do you feel like you’re missing out?
- Do you enjoy taking care of a yard or would you prefer a weekend away?
- Does your home have (and need) curb appeal?
- Do you have adequate parking? Is a garage or carport a must-have?
- How much time and effort does the exterior require for upkeep (painting, staining, etc.)?
- Are you happy with your neighbourhood? Think about all its characteristics, including walkability, parks, nearby activities, density, noise level and neighbour involvement.
- Do you have to travel far for basics such as groceries or a doctor’s appointment?
- Are you happy with your commute?
- Are there enough activities going on around you — or too many?
Be honest as you answer these questions, and ask yourself if the answers will be the same in 2 years, five years and ten years. Discover what’s truly important to your comfort and happiness at home.